What do we do here?
Today, millions of employees looking for career growth are stuck between bad HR software and impenetrable spreadsheets. There are no career development products that employees and managers really want to use.
That's not good enough. Managers should have the power to support their teams, and anyone should have the opportunity to be the best version of themselves and create careers that they love.
We're building the solution to that. Progression brings clarity to employees around their career growth, and simplicity and scalability to teams as they grow and look to promote and reward employees for their hard work.
That's just the start. Our mission is to help everyone build a career that they love.
About the role
We believe that great design and user experience are key to achieving our mission to put the power to progress at work firmly in anyone’s hands. To this end we're looking for a senior frontend engineer who will play a foundational role in designing and building a world class user interface for Progression.
In the next 12 months you'll:
- Help us get to product market fit by rapidly building features in React, dipping into our Rails backend when needed
- Collaborate with our designer and product manager to identify, test and iterate new features
- Pragmatically introduce a component library that serves as a reference point for the whole team
- Ensure a very high quality bar for every feature and interaction we ship
- Contribute to the growth and success of other members of the team through code review, documentation, and mentoring
You'll have demonstrable experience of:
- Several years using React (or similar framework) to develop complex, scalable products.
- Creating delightful interactions and stunning UI
- Working with and/or building APIs, component libraries and design systems
- Strong communication and organisational skills — you'll be able to work effectively in teams or work autonomously as needed
- Some experience working with a backend framework (e.g. Express, Django, Rails) and a willingness to get stuck in to unblock yourself
- Working closely with designers, product managers and stakeholders
Some extra skills that would be nice to have:
- Data visualisation in D3 or another equivalent library
- Experience of working with Ruby on Rails or React Native
- Experience of working with Tailwind and utility CSS
- Experience of introducing a design system to an existing team in a gradual, pragmatic way
- Experience with product design and tools such as Figma
- Evidence of an entrepreneurial streak — Github open source contributions, a side project you're proud of or a past success or failure which tells your story
What you're getting into
You'll have a great time if you want:
- To get in on the very ground floor of a new tech company
- Huge influence over all front end architecture across our current web app, marketing site and any future domains
- High level goals and a lot of freedom to run
- The ability to prioritise, justify and manage your own roadmap
- To write a lot of code, move fast and also have influence over architecture and tech stack
- To learn unfamiliar things quickly so you can unblock yourself
- To work on the most business critical projects, whatever they are
We may not be the right fit if you'd like to:
- Work in a large product team with lots of other engineers
- Specialise in one aspect of engineering (e.g API design)
- Specialise in one language or framework (e.g. Rails or React)
- Work in an office!
Our commitment to fairness
We're very committed to building a diverse team and as such will ensure that our hiring process is fair too.
Whatever your race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability, we want to hear from you.
If you're unsure whether to apply (or just want to ask a question) please use our chat bubble to ask.