What do we do here?
Today, millions of employees looking for career growth are stuck between bad HR software and impenetrable spreadsheets. There are no career development products that employees and managers really want to use.
That's not good enough. Managers should have the power to support their teams, and anyone should have the opportunity to be the best version of themselves and create careers that they love.
We're building the solution to that. Progression brings clarity to employees around their career growth, and simplicity and scalability to teams as they grow and look to promote and reward employees for their hard work.
That's just the start. Our mission is to help everyone build a career that they love.
That's where you come in
As one of first engineering hires you'll have masses of autonomy and the ability to move fast and build core product as well as integrations, APIs and more, leading major projects and reporting into the founders.
We have an amazing set of investors, a huge vision and a lot of product to build, so expect masses of autonomy, thinking from first principles and tons of face-time with us as we work together on building an amazing business.
Your skillset and experience:
You'll have demonstrable experience of:
- Designing and building complex, scaling products using Ruby on Rails, ideally in a startup environment
- A passion for clean, maintainable, secure, tested code.
- Working on applications at that have reached a significant scale.
- A strong understanding of security when building products for the web.
- Working closely with frontend engineers to jointly deliver new features.
- Strong communication and organisational skills — you'll be able to work effectively in teams or work autonomously as needed
- Working closely with designers, researchers and stakeholders
If you happen to have any of the following, we'd love to see!
- Experience using React or Vue within Rails.
- Experience working in a SOC2 or ISO 127001 certified organisation.
- Evidence of an entrepreneurial streak — Github open source contributions, a side project you're proud of or a past success or failure which tells your story
What you're getting into
You'll be one of first engineers at Progression. Not only do we need you to help with the volume or work but we also need someone to apply themselves to helping us scale what we do: our product, our maintainability and our processes. You'll have a huge role in deciding how we structure the code, the technology we use and will have a big impact on the quality of work we ship.
You'll have a great time if you want:
- To get in on the very ground floor of a new tech company
- Huge influence over all back end architecture across our current web app, marketing site and any future domains
- High level goals and a lot of freedom to run
- The ability to prioritise, justify and manage your own roadmap
- To write a lot of code, move fast and also have influence over architecture and tech stack
- To learn unfamiliar things quickly so you can unblock yourself To work on the most business critical projects, whatever they are
We may not be the right fit if you'd like to:
- Work in a large product team with lots of other engineers
- Specialise in one aspect of engineering (e.g API design)
- Specialise in one language or framework (e.g. Rails or React)
- Work in an office!
Our commitment to fairness
We're very committed to building a diverse team and as such will ensure that our hiring process is fair too.
Whatever your race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability, we want to hear from you.
If you're unsure whether to apply (or just want to ask a question) please use our chat bubble to ask.